Saturday, October 16, 2010

Potpourri

Potpourri: a miscellaneous collection [my thoughts, in this case]  
 
We have internet!! I've seriously been on blog withdrawal - for both writing mine and reading others.

We are all unpacked and settling in to life in Georgia. I still forget sometimes and expect to see NC license plates when I'm out. Other times, I hop in the car and take off before I realize that I don't know where I'm going - thank heavens for a GPS!

 Emma Lee is already working on having a more southern accent. She now makes "down" into a 3 syllable word.

Our place is nice and cozy (except the first day/night when we didn't have an air conditioner that worked and it stayed at a solid 80 degrees! Fortunately, they took care of that really quickly.) I think we'll be pretty comfortable here for a year or so while we scope out where we want to live permanently.

October 13th marked the official one year mark of our adoption process. I had fully intended to do a one year post, but that was pretty difficult to do without a computer or internet. :) Here's a quick update for you though - things are pretty much the same right now. We are just playing the waiting game. We do have a number, and we are officially on the waiting list. They have also been having more (two in the last two months) meetings to match children with families. (Why, why, why, they don't do more than that I'll never understand!!!) They are also working on getting a more current idea/list of families waiting for children. The hope is that they will have that by December, which will give us a more certain idea of the timeline we're looking at (right now they are saying about 2 years). Of course, I'm hoping it will shorten our waiting time. It also means more paperwork (and I'm guessing more money!) for us in the future because they are requiring you to submit a yearly update of your dossier in order to stay current, and our agency suggests getting that in 4 months before the expiration date.

We are getting out and about in Macon. We attended the chick-fil-a breakfast for dinner night and all wore our pjs for free food. (Sorry, I forgot to take a picture) It was crazy! Before we got there, I was having those "are you sure we were supposed to wear pjs" along with the "what if we're the only ones in pjs" kind of thoughts. I didn't need to worry though, the entire placed was packed (and I mean packed! - we had to wait for a table) and those in clothes were definitely the ones out of place! :) 
We also drove about 30 min south of us to Perry for the Georgia National Fair. It was great!! Along with the traditional (at least for the NC state fair) fair things like insanely priced rides and food with an unimaginable amount of calories and all kinds of (smelly) farm animal and petting zoos (wait a minute - why do we like this so much?? . . . who knows - but we do!) and pig racing and fireworks, they also had a free circus and a Sea Lion show that the girls really enjoyed. We were there from 3:00-10:30! Yay for older kids who don't need naps and can stay up late and then sleep in the next morning!! I only got pictures of the first half of our time there because my camera battery died. I think I need to get a back-up because I'm constantly forgetting to charge it. The rest of the time I bugged Andy to take some pictures with his phone, and a few of them turned out okay. We had a perfect ending to a great day doing our traditional family Ferris Wheel ride, which just so happened to be timed perfectly with the fireworks show.

In other news, after two weeks of sleeping on the floor in either sleeping bags, air mattresses, or regular mattresses, the girls finally have a bed!!

0 comments: