Friday, October 29, 2010

Just Plain Weird

I think that the hardest thing about being in a completely new place is not so much that I don't know anyone -  it's that I don't know anyone but they all know me!

I was minding my own business in Target today (happily alone with my thoughts since I was without the girls, which rarely happens). I guess I was focusing too heavily on important things (you know, like what type of (free!) chips to get for the girls) because next thing I know some random man with a deep voice is standing next to me asking me if I'm settling in Macon - that's it - no introduction, no "hi" first, nothing. I hope I wasn't visibly startled, but my mind was working overtime to process who this strange man was, where he came from, why he was talking to me, while it was also registering that he had a little boy standing there with him and remembering that yes, I am in Macon. I'm sure all that happened in a split second, but it felt like quite a while and I think I just smiled and mumbled something I hope was somewhat coherent as he started to walk away.

It kind of made me feel weird to think about how many people I might pass everyday who recognize me and just watch what I (or my kids!) am doing without me ever knowing it. I don't know why it made me feel weird - I don't really do anything that differently whether I'm around someone I know or not. Then I remembered that Someone is always watching how I live every second of my life, and if I'm making Him happy that's all I have to worry about.        

1 comments:

rachel said...

Michaella, I know exactly what you mean!! I see people staring at me all the time and some who confront me who are from the church. And the embarrassing part is when I know I have asked them their name about 3 times already, but still can't remember it.