Friday, February 11, 2011

2-11-11

It's the second step of my 1-11-11 challenge to myself to get (1) semi-good picture of the girls every month until November (11) (which will lead right up to their birthday) of this year (11) = 1-11-11.

I decided to go with a school picture for this month because I feel like we're in a pretty good routine right now. The girls are learning a lot and enjoying it, and I am too! Here they are from this morning playing their favorite math game of the moment (which I invented on the spot a couple weeks ago - it literally took about 10 seconds of planning and they think it's the greatest thing - don't you love it when that happens!)

Here's the game - are you ready? 
Take a strip of construction paper and write _____ + ______ = 
There you have it - a wonderful math game!

We play a couple of different ways. Sometimes I call out a number, and they have to grab the right amount of whatever item we happen to be using and create a problem with that number as the sum. If I say, "7" Emma Lee might set up a 3+4 scenario, and Kerri will probably do a 7+0 (she loves the sneaky 0 - so I have to limit the amount of times she uses it!). I'll either move on to the next number, or make them see if they can figure out another problem with the same answer (5+2, etc.). Other times I call out the problem (4+6) and they have to set it up and be the first one to tell me what the answer is. It's riveting stuff, I know. One of these days we'll even get even crazier and branch out into subtraction. ;)   



Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Ah Michaella, I love your wit. =)