Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sibling Rivalry vs. Sibling Love

There's not much that makes my heart happier than seeing or hearing my girls happily getting along, playing nicely with each other, and just being best friends. While this doesn't happen 100% of the time, fortunately they do get along and enjoy each other the majority of the time . . . for now at least. I don't know if this is due to their personalities or their closeness in age or maybe some of my "God gave you to each other" speeches have sunk in (or maybe some of all of it), I just want to do everything on my part to make sure that it lasts!

Have you ever noticed how many people are so eager to share the negatives of parenting with you? It starts from the moment (well, not the moment) ;) you are pregnant with all the "get your sleep now because you'll never get any after the baby comes" comments. All along I've gotten comments from people about how even though children are sometimes so close to each other in the beginning it changes as they get older. I know that there is some truth to this. I've definitely had (sometimes still have) enough sibling rivalry in my own family to know, but I also think that although there will naturally be "fussy times" of disagreements I don't think that it is outside the realm of reality for me to believe that Emma Lee and Kerri can remain best friends as they get older - and for the rest of their lives. Today I volunteered in Emma Lee's preschool class and took Kerri along with me. Emma Lee was so proud of her sister, and it was so sweet. She wanted to include Kerri in everything that she was doing with her friends. She wasn't bothered or put out that her younger sister was there soaking up some extra attention in her class. How do I make this last, especially as they get older and spend more time apart during the day?

So, instead of the negative comments I usually hear, what are some thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc you have for encouraging a loving sibling relationship? What have you learned from in your own life? What are you doing, do you plan on doing, or did you do to help your kids be best friends and stay that way?

0 comments: