Thursday, March 4, 2010

Magic Babysitter

A while back Andy and I wanted (needed - take your pick!) a date night. For different reasons, it just wasn't going to work out for us to go out somewhere, so we decided to stay in. Sounds good, right? The challenge was getting Emma Lee and Kerri to cooperate. I rented a movie and planned a special dinner for us grownups - okay, easy part done.

Next, I talked up to the girls how they were going to get to have their own special night in their room. I got them their own special dinner that they could eat upstairs (lunchables - they think they are the greatest thing in the world because they never-well, obviously not never, but extremely rarely-get them). Armed with some movies of their own and our portable DVD player, I headed up to their room to get things set up. A moment of inspiration hit me and for the first time all day, I thought that this might just work. In the top of the girls' closet, they have a long-forgotten play tent that I realized would make this night extra special for them (which might just actually keep them in their room). I set it up, and somehow they managed to find room for themselves in there after they piled it full of pillows, blankets, dolls, and stuffed animals, along with their dinner and dvd player. With promises that they could watch BOTH movies AND sleep in the tent if they stayed in their room and were quiet, I set them up, (I might have also sent up a little prayer) and tiptoed down the stairs.

I didn't have to worry, they were completely enchanted by the idea and other than a couple trips to the potty, we didn't hear a peep from them - ALL NIGHT! They even managed to fall asleep (and stay that way all night) cuddled up together in their little tent. I couldn't (and still can't completely) believe it! I feel like I have a secret weapon although it must be saved as the last resort and used oh so sparingly in order for it's magic to continue to work!


2 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

what's the most amazing about this (to me) is that you were able to get pictures of them sleeping without them waking up =)!!

what a great idea...i'll have to reserve it for our next in house date night.

The Johnson Scoop said...

Once they're out, they're out! Sometimes we can't even wake them up if we try (on the rare occasion that we ever need to). Actually, we have two tents - if you want one just let me know. It came as a set of two tents and a tunnel that can connect them, but who has room for all of that?? :)