Thursday, June 4, 2009

Through Their Eyes

I love being a mommy! My girls give me a new appreciation for the small things like taking time to stop and smell the flowers (literally!) or chasing butterflies around the yard or admiring the little dots on a ladybug. Kerri can't even leave our front door and go straight to the car without kneeling down and examining any ants that happen to be on our driveway (true - sometimes this is a little frustrating, but she is genuinely that fascinated!).

Their sensitive little hearts make me pause and evaluate my own heart at times. For example, the girls know the story of Jesus dying on the cross for our sins, but around Easter, Emma Lee began to grasp a little more about what that means. Her children's Bible that we read every night has a small picture of Jesus on the cross, but it just shows his face that is sad and not much more (which I get, little kids don't need graphic images). I hadn't thought about or realized this until we were waiting in Andy's office one day and she started playing with an Evangacube. She saw a full body picture of Jesus on the cross with nails in his hands and feet, a gash in his side, and blood. While we were talking about it she started crying that Jesus had to get hurt. That really struck me - When's the last time I cried over Jesus taking my punishment?

Thank you, Lord, for these two precious girls who you use to help me stop and remember how great you are!

0 comments: