Monday, July 12, 2010

Blueberry Picking





With bucket in hand
and row after row of blueberries
bowing before me
offering themselves
their round fruit so perfect
so ripe



I can't help
plucking a few from bent branches
and popping them into my mouth

surprised at the sweetness
at the warmth



It will take a long time to fill my bucket
but I don't mind
I like the feel of the leaves between my fingers
I like the way the berries fall off of the branch
and into my hand
then into my bucket
to join the ripe
blue congregation
collecting at my feet





And when I squat down to lift those bottom branches
cooing with delight at hidden clumps of fruit
now exposed
I feel ancient and maternal
gathering the fresh fruit
the sweet food



It will take a long time to fill my bucket
but I don't mind


Poem by Jacqueline Dooley

(See the rest of our blueberry picking picture here.) 

0 comments: