Monday, October 12, 2009

Handy Andy





A while back, I was searching online trying to find a bookshelf for the girls' room. I found the perfect one: it was white, adorable, would look so cute in their room, and just the size I was looking for. Unfortunately, I fell in love before I looked at the $425 (plus shipping) price tag. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen. I still couldn't get it out of my mind, so I printed out a picture, took it to Andy and asked him if he thought he could make it. Fortunately for me, my own dear Handy Andy loves a project. We took a trip to the man mall, you know - Lowes, bought the supplies for a fraction of the cost and within a couple of hours of his starting the project, he had built me a bookshelf pretty identical to the one I found online. Granted, because of classes, exams, dissertation, and just life in general, it took a couple of months to get it completely (paint and all) finished, but I now have it! As is normal with us, one project spurs on another, so we also repainted a portion of the girls' room and created a dress-up area complete with a full length mirror and flower pegs on the wall.

I also foresee a future project because I'm ashamed to admit it but my almost 4 and almost 5 year olds still sleep in their toddler beds, and guess what - in my searches online I just happened to see a bunkbed set that matches the bookshelf. Maybe after graduation, Andy will need a new project....  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, man-mall. That may be the funniest thing I've heard in a lonnng time. =) I love the idea, and it looks great.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Way to go Andy! Looks great!